header

photobucket

navbar

homeaboutfashionbeautyCRAFTFAQCONTACT

Friday 22 March 2013

Book Review - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn has had a brilliant reception throughout the English speaking world, but was especially popular in the US. It has reached the New York Best Sellers List as well as the Kindle Best Sellers List. Gone Girl is fitted into the psychological thriller genre, although I'd be willing to debate this. The novel's suspense comes for an uncertainty about one of the main characters', Amy Dunne's, disappearance, and whether her husband, Nick Dunne, is responsible. 

I was instantly engaged with this book due to its psychological thriller genre and interesting synopsis, but the further I got into the book the more disappointed I was. 30% in and I was bored. Bored stiff. I carried on reading in the hope that the next chapter would be more interesting, but it wasn't. I then reached the 50% mark and seriously debated putting the book down, but I have this compulsion to finish a book, so I carried on. I was yet to reach the 'psychological thriller' part of the book, and all I'd read was a boring account of a poor marriage where both husband and wife were unlikable characters. I didn't sympathise with Amy (which I think I was supposed to), and I was frustrated with Nick. 

I then reached a point where I thought something exciting was about to happen relating to Amy's disappearance, but alas, it was just another reason why their marriage was going down the drain. 

The second half got off to a brilliant start, however. The psychological edge was added and I was drawn in the to characters questionable personality (I won't give any spoilers away, you'll know what I mean if you've read it). The last third felt like it was written in a rush, and then after the 'big reveal' is revealed within the world of the story, it crashes and burns. I was left stunned, wondering how it could have ended that way. Technically I can understand if this was real life why the story finished like that, it would make sense. But, it's not real life. It's a book. And I wasn't left satisfied. 

I gave this 1 star for it's unusual plot line, but overall I was immensely disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment